CISY 254 - Data Structures - Fall 2014 (Monday / Wednesday)
(Prerequisite/s: CISY 105 - Foundations of Computer Science or CISY 242 – Object Oriented Programming: C++) This course introduces students to the fundamental data structures used in Computer Science. The data structures covered include linked lists, doubly linked lists, stacks, queues, trees, and graphs. Algorithms that manipulate these data structures are discussed and used in laboratory work. Students are introduced to the run-time analysis of algorithms and basic algorithms for searching and sorting.
Data Structures & Other Objects Using Java, Michael Main, 4th Edition
Picture of book:
Section 01X - CRN 11357 [ Honors Section 01H CRN 13607 ]
Monday 11:00 AM - 12:50 PM - West Building W311
Wednesday 11:00 AM - 1:50 PM West Building W311
Syllabus / Class Schedule
Syllabus ( grade determinants, policies )
Class Schedule ( timing of topics, exams, assignments )
Author Michael Main's web page to supplement the book: http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~main/dsoj.html
Java at home?
The lab the class uses has the software we need for the in-class Labs and there is ample time in class to complete the labs.
The Projects are a little more involved may require time outside of class. The "open lab" on campus in the West Building should be open 6 days a week over the summer. Please check the summer schedule posted by the Open Lab door.
So, it is not a requirement to be able to write Java programs at home, but it may be convenient to have the ability.
Getting Java JDK and TextPad at home
- Java Development Kit is needed to Compile Programs. This is different than the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) which is only for running Java. Java Development Kit is free but requires a text editor.
- TextPad is a simple file-based editor which can be integrated with Compile Java/Run Java Application. This is what the instructor uses for demos because he can easily open many files simultaneously . The Evaluation is for 30 days. The cost is ~$27
High Level Steps:
- Download and Install Java SE Development Kit 8u5 from Oracle Website (currently, Java SE 8 update 20 is latest (7 is in lab). Java JDK is free) http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html
- Make sure environment variable path includes bin folder under jdk
- Download and Install TextPad (30 day evaluation then ~$27) http://www.textpad.com/download/index.html
there are other free text editors like Notepad++ ( http://notepad-plus-plus.org/ ) and SciTE ( http://www.scintilla.org/SciTE.html )
Getting Java JDK with NetBeans [ also easiest solution for Mac ]
- NetBeans is a project file-based editor which is integrated with Java. For each new program a project has to be created. NetBeans is free.
High Level Steps:
- Download and Install JDK 8u20 with NetBeans 8.0 from Oracle Website (currently, version 8 update 20 is latest (version 7 is in lab). Java JDK is free) http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html