Home Raritan Valley Community College
To best view this page, please turn off Compatibility View.

Advising & Counseling - General Services FAQs


red dot  

 What is Academic Renewal?  

The Academic Renewal Program is designed for students who attended RVCC, compiled an unsuccessful academic record, and subsequently left the College for five or more years.  As a result of their work experience, maturity, or new interests, these students may now wish to return to college and start a new grade point average.  While past grades will no longer count in the GPA, those courses do remain on the academic transcript.  Interested students should print the Academic Renewal Application Form(.pdf) and review the eligibility requirements for this program.  For further information, please consult with an Academic Advisor.   


red dot  

 Academic Standing  

What is RVCC’s Standard of Academic Progress? 

The Academic Standards Committee evaluates each student’s academic record (part-time and non-degree seeking students included) at the conclusion of each semester. The College's standard of academic progress requires that students maintain a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 or better, which is defined as "Good Standing." Accordingly, a minimum of 2.0 is required for graduation. 

Why am I on probation or suspension? 

In order to successfully progress through your degree program so that you can graduate with at least a 2.0 grade point average, the college has established guidelines for Academic Alert, Academic Probation Alert, Academic Suspension and Academic Dismissal.  Details on all four can be found in the current catalog, under Academic Regulations, Academic Standing. The Academic Standards committee will send a letter to students who have been suspended or dismissed. Students on Academic Alert & Probation Alert will have a message sent to their Lions Den email account. 

I was suspended from RVCC several years ago. How do I come back? 

Complete the Re-enrollment form and bring it with you to Advising & Counseling Services. Poor academic performance in the past is not necessarily an indicator of your present capabilities. 

How can I appeal my suspension status? 

Your letter from the Academic Standards Committee will explain the appeal process. Students are typically required to write a letter to the committee expressing reasons for the appeal. The committee will meet, make a decision, and inform the student in writing and also via email to the student’s Lions Den account. 

What types of restrictions apply to me while I’m on suspension or probation? 

Students who have been suspended are unable to enroll at the college for a semester. Students who have been put on academic probation alert are required to meet with an advisor in order to register or drop classes.  

Can I appeal my dismissal status? 

No.  If you returned from academic suspension and your term GPA was below 2.0, you will be placed on Academic Dismissal and will be prohibited from enrolling at RV for two calendar years. 


red dot  

 Adult Students  

RVCC offers academic support and assistance to adult students who are continuing their college education or who are attending college for the first time.  Please visit our Adult Students page for further information. 


red dot  

 Advanced Approval for Transfer Credit  

Any student who wishes to take a course at another college and transfer the credit back to RVCC must complete an Advanced Approval Form.  This form requires Advisor/Counselor approval.  


red dot  

 Advanced Standing  

 How can I use my previous college credits from another college or university?
Students enrolled in a degree program (AA, AS, AFA, AAS or Certificate) may be eligible to receive transfer credit for previously studied coursework. They should have OFFICIAL transcripts from all previously attended institutions sent to the Office of Enrollment Services, PO Box 3300, Somerville, NJ 08876. Unofficial or student copies will not be accepted for formal transfer credit evaluation. After receiving a letter from the Office of Enrollment Services stating that your evaluation has been completed, you are encouraged to schedule an appointment to meet with an advisor in order to determine which courses apply to your curriculum. 

Which exams are accepted under the Advanced Standing policy? 

  • Advanced Placement Exams (AP) 
  • College Level Examination Placement (CLEP) 
  • RVCC Department Exams 
  • NYU Foreign Language Proficiency Exam 
It is strongly recommended that you check with an advisor or counselor prior to registering for any test. Further information on the various forms of alternate assessment can be found in Advising & Counseling Services and by visiting theTesting Center.

 How do I get credit for college-level knowledge gained through life experience?
Credit for college-level knowledge gained from life experience is granted after evaluation by examination or other forms of assessment. A variety of examinations are acceptable including: College Level Examination Program (CLEP), RVCC Departmental exams, NYU Foreign Language Proficiency exams, and DANTES. Credit is also granted for certain military training and non-collegiate sponsored instruction, such as AT&T training courses. Courses that have been evaluated by ACE (The American Council on Education) may be applied to your degree. Students should request that transcripts be sent to the Office of Enrollment Services. Students may also consult with Barbara Luby in Advising and Counseling Services about these options. 

 What is a Departmental Exam?
Departmental exams are administered for students wishing to obtain credit for prior learning in a specific course for which no national standardized exam is approved by the RVCC faculty (CLEP, DANTES, etc.). General Policies: 

  • No credit can be earned for Physical Education or Speech courses. 
  • Students pay $40 per credit to RVCC for the exam. 
  • Students may not apply for a departmental exam for courses they have audited or in which they received a received a D/F. 
  • If granted credit, the student will receive "credit by examination" on the transcript. The grade point average will not be affected. 

 Students should pick up a departmental exam form from Barbara Luby in the Advising and Counseling Services Office. The form will be forwarded to the appropriate department and the student will be contacted by the department to arrange the exam. 

 How many credits can I earn from Advanced Standing?
Students may earn up to 45 credits towards an associates degree through the various forms of advanced standing available.


red dot  

 Auditing a Course  

Students who are interested in taking a course for personal enrichment but are not interested in earning credit have the option of registering for the course as an audit. When auditing a course, the student is expected to attend and participate but will not receive college credit and an AU grade will appear on his or her college transcript. 

How do I go about registering for an audit? 

A student interested in auditing a course must have permission of the faculty member teaching the course. The student will need to fill out an Add/Drop form and gets the instructor’s signature and date on it. The cost for the course is the same as a student taking the course for credit. Once courses begin, a student enrolled in a course can switch their status from credit to audit until the time designated in the academic calendar as the last day to receive a “W” grade (please refer to the academic calendar for specific dates). The student needs to complete the Add/Drop form and get the instructor’s signature and date. 

What are the benefits of auditing a course, as opposed to earning credit for it? 

A student who wishes to gain knowledge about a specific topic, but does not wish to have assignments and exams evaluated by the instructor, is the perfect candidate for an audit. Also, students who are interested in a topic for personal enrichment may select this option. Please note that when auditing a course, a student must comply with the course’s attendance requirements.  


red dot  

 Career Planning  

There are various resources at your disposal. Knowing yourself is the first place to begin when making a career choice.  

  • Meet individually with the Career Counselor, and/or attend a Choosing a Major/Career workshop to identify your interests, skills, and work related values.  
  • Develop an accurate assessment of your personal qualities and form a career plan by utilizing the FOCUS 2 online assessment. 

Is there a way I can get experience while earning my degree?  

RVCC's Part-time Internship Coordinator, Alicia Hermo-Weaver, can assist students with finding internship opportunities.  Alicia can be reached at 908-526-1200 x8213 or aherm-w@raritanval.edu.  For more information about the internship program, please visit the Internships main page. 

RVCC’s Cooperative Education program allows students to earn academic credit while working. Contact the academic department that oversees your major for more information. 

RVCC's Service Learning Program: Students enrolled in Service Learning courses perform community service (volunteer work) as part of their coursework and receive academic credit.  For more information, please contact 908-526-1200 extension 8284. 

How can I determine the job market and career outlook for my particular major?  

Go to the Career Services web page under "Occupational Research". There are web links there that enable the user to type in a keyword/job title and then provide the user with both state and national information on the level of demand for that career (http://lwd.dol.state.nj.us/labor/wnjpin/wnjpin_index.html).  For additional assistance, contact the Career Counselor at 908-526-1200 x8334. 

I just want to get a job to make some money while I’m in school. Can you help?  

Students seeking employment should contact the Career Advisor at 908-526-1200 x8338 or wschnall@raritanval.edu.  Area employers also regularly come on campus to recruit students and graduates.  Visit Job Search for Students for more information. 


red dot  

 Cooperative Education  

Cooperative Education offers students an on-the-job training program directly related to their academic major and career interests. Students earn credit for working, and sometimes, a salary. 

Who is eligible for cooperative education? 

  • Students enrolled in a degree program at RVCC. 
  • Students with 12 completed credits or the permission of the Cooperative Coordinator. 
  • Students in good academic standing. 
  •  Students able to be employed at least 10 hours per week in this program.

    Please note: Students in certain degree programs are required to do a Co-Op. Refer to your curriculum requirements. 

How do I arrange to do a Co-Op? 

Contact the academic department that oversees your major. Visit RVCC Academic Departments for further information. 


red dot  

 Credit Overload  

What is the most number of credits I can take as a full-time/part-time student in the Fall and Spring semesters?  

  • Full time students can register for a maximum of 19 credits (including developmental courses).  
  • Part-time students can register for up to 11 credits and maintain part-time status. 

How many credits can I take as a full time/part time student in the summer session?  

Students may take up to 12 credits during the entire summer session, with no more than six credits during any one summer session.  

What if I want to take more credits than the maximum?  

You should go to Advising and Counseling Services and meet with an academic advisor. The guidelines for an overload request are as follows: 

  • Have at least a 2.0 GPA in the last semester and a 2.0 cumulative GPA.  
  • Have at least a 3.0 GPA in the last semester with less than a 2.0 cumulative GPA.  
  • No failing mid-term grades in the present semester.  
  • Successful completion of all required developmental courses. 

red dot  

 Dean's List   

After completing 12 college-level credits, students will be eligible for the Dean’s List, which is compiled every semester. Students completing 6 or more credits in college-level courses with a semester GPA of 3.5 and no grades below a C will be placed on the Dean’s List.   


red dot  

 Developmental Courses  

Why do I have to take developmental courses?  

Students whose Accuplacer test results indicate a placement in Mathematics and/or English below college level are required to take developmental courses as preparation for college-level coursework. 

How does RVCC determine which developmental courses I need to be in?  

Based on the recommendations of the faculty, the "cut-off" scores for the Accuplacer test are used to determine placement into developmental courses. Students can re-test twice, if they feel their scores are close enough to the cut-offs. (There is a $10 charge per section for retests.) 

I took developmental courses at my previous institution. Do they count at RVCC?  

It depends. Students who have taken developmental English courses at another institution (but who have not taken credit-bearing English courses yet) will need to take our placement test.  However, students who have taken developmental Math courses at another institution (but who have not taken credit-bearing Math courses yet) can either take the placement test or bring transcripts to Enrollment Services for review.  Depending on the substance of the math course, you may be exempt from taking further developmental math courses at RVCC.  

How do developmental courses affect my full-time student/part-time status in terms of financial aid and health insurance?  

Developmental courses do not count towards your degree requirements, but DO count towards your status as a full time student. 

Example: Student is taking 9 credits of credited courses and 4 credits of a non-credited course. Only 9 of the credits count toward degree requirements, however all 13 credits count toward financial aid and insurance, thereby making the student full-time. 

When do I have to start taking my developmental course work?  

When placement testing indicates the need for developmental English courses to improve the core academic skills of reading and writing, these courses must be completed as early as possible.  

If placement testing indicates that developmental Math is required for their intended degree or certificate program, students should enroll in the appropriate developmental math course during their first semester of attendance. Students must begin their developmental math sequence by the time they have completed 20 college level credits, and continue to enroll during each subsequent semester until eligible for college level math or until their degree program requirements for math have been met. 

What if I want to drop a developmental course?  

Developmental Studies courses build essential skills for college success, so students are not permitted to withdraw from Developmental Studies courses while maintaining registration in college level courses.  Exceptions may be granted only by consultation with an Academic Advisor or Counselor. 

What happens if I have to repeat a developmental course?  

To repeat any developmental English or math course a student is required to meet with an academic advisor and may be restricted to certain courses or to a limited number of courses. After taking the same developmental English course for the third time without success, the student must meet with the Dean of Student Services to discuss academic and career options. 


red dot  


 I want to add or drop a course this semester. What do I do?
First, check the academic calendar for important dates regarding last days to add or drop courses.  Next, you will need to fill out an 
Add/Drop form (.pdf), available online or in the Student Enrollment Center Office.  Other things to keep in mind: 

  • If you are receiving financial aid, you should check with the Financial Aid Office to see if dropping a course will affect your award. 
  • Also, if dropping a course affects your status as a full-time student, you will want to make sure that you are in compliance with possible health insurance stipulations. 

 How much money will I get back from dropping a course?
Refer to the 
Refund & Withdrawal Schedule to determine the amount of refund they will receive based on the drop date.

Will the dropped course be on my academic transcript?
It depends on how far into the semester you drop the course. The
Refund & Withdrawal Schedule will tell you the last day you can withdraw from a course without a "W" grade showing on your record. 

Please note:We can not stress enough the importance of withdrawing from your courses by the deadline if you are unable to finish the semester.  If you simply stop attending classes and don’t take the appropriate action, the end result will be “Fs” on your permanent academic record.  


red dot  

 English as a Second Language (ESL)  

Who has to take the ESL English as a Second Language placement test?  

  1. Citizens or permanent residents of the United States, for whom English is not his/her first language, will take the Comprehensive English Language Test (CELT) to determine their eligibility, even if he/she has studied English at another college.  
  2. International Students, for whom English is not their first language, must also take the test.  

Note: Students will be given their ESL placement results immediately after testing.  

Why is the ESL test important?  

ABCsPrograms at RVCC require a demonstrated level of proficiency in English. The results of the ESL Placement Test will be used to determine whether a student needs to improve their English skills prior to beginning college-level coursework. Once the need for ESL is determined, students will begin taking courses in Grammar, Reading/Writing or Speaking and Listening based on their placement test level.  

Where do I take the ESL test and how much does it cost?  

Please refer to the Testing Center for detailed information about the ESL Placement Test.  

I took ESL at another college. How does that affect my placement in courses at RVCC?  

You should discuss your previous ESL courses with Kevin Hinkle, (908)526-1200 ext. 8568, who coordinates ESL placement.  

How do ESL courses fit into my major?  

ESL courses (except for ESL201) do not carry college credit towards your degree program.  

I need more in-depth information about the ESL courses. With whom do I speak?  

Contact an ESL Advisor, or visit the ESL website for further information.  


red dot  

 Foreign Language Placement Testing  

 What is a foreign language placement test and who needs to take it?

Any student who has taken 2+ years of a foreign language (within the last 5 years) and wishes to continue with the same language must follow the information below:

  • SPANISH: Students MUST take the placement test. If they do poorly and place into Intro to Spanish I (SPAN 103), they must register for Intro to Spanish II w/ Review (SPAN 105). According to the College Catalog, NO credit will be given for SPAN 103 if that is what the student chooses to take.  
  • FRENCH & GERMAN: Students MUST take the placement test. If after testing, they place into Intro to French I (FREN 103) or Intro to German I (GRMN 103), they WILL receive credit for it.  
  •  ITALIAN: There is NO placement test for Italian. Students wishing to continue with Italian should register for Intro to Italian II (ITAL 102). They will then be tested on the first day of and moved accordingly, if necessary.
What are the procedures for taking the foreign language placement test?

  • Students go to the Testing Center and request the appropriate test. (908) 526-1200 ext. 8424  
  • Students should allow at least 90 minutes for the test. The test is done by paper and pen, so there is no computer involved.  
  • When the test is completed, the Testing Center forwards the test to the Foreign Language department, where a faculty member will grade the test.  
  • The Foreign Language Department (or faculty member) will contact the student by phone regarding the placement. Turn around time can be from as little as 24 hours up to a few days, depending on faculty availability.  
  •  The Testing Center enters the placement results of the test into the college computer.
How can I waive the foreign language requirement?

Students may have the foreign language requirement waived if they can prove competency beyond the Intermediate II level of a foreign language. Students should then select two humanities electives in place of the language requirement. Competency can be proven by an appropriate score on the placement test which the College administers for the languages taught for credit (Spanish, French, German).


red dot  

 Full-Time / Part-Time Status  

 What constitutes a full-time student?
A student is considered full-time if he or she registers for at least 12 credits for the semester. A student is considered part-time if he or she registers for 11 credits or fewer for the semester. Please note that while developmental courses do not count towards graduation, they do count towards your full-time/part-time status. 

How can changing my full-time to part-time status affect me?
It is important to be aware that when changing from full-time to part-time status, there may be an impact on your financial aid as well as your health insurance coverage. It is encouraged that you meet with and academic advisor and/or a financial aid counselor before you make such changes.


red dot  

 General Education Requirements  

 I keep hearing about General Education courses.  What are they?
General Education courses are designed to give students a broad distribution of courses that emphasize critical thinking, comprehension of ideas and communication skills.  They are the foundation to all students’ curriculums.  While the courses in your major focus in on your particular interests, General Education courses give you the breadth of coursework that is the basis for a liberal arts education.  RVCC General Education courses are broken down into eight categories including: 

  • English Composition 
  • Communication 
  • Mathematics 
  • Science 
  • Technological Competency 
  • Social Science 
  • Global and Cultural Awareness 
  • Humanities 

You can find more information about General Education in the College Catalog  

How many Gen Ed courses are in my degree program?  

  • A.A. degree programs contain 45 credits of general education 
  • A.S. degree programs contain 30 credits of general education 
  • A.A.S. degree programs contain 20 credits of general education 
  • A.F.A. degree program contains 20 credits of general education 

 How do I know what courses satisfy general education requirements?
Students can refer to the listing of the General Education courses provided in the printed College Catalog or by accessing the General Education Electives List (.pdf) online, which can be found at the bottom of the 
programs page.  Electives are clearly listed for each subject category. 


red dot  

 GPA Calculation  

How do I compute my Grade Point Average?  

Please refer to the chart below or visit the following websites:  




Grade & Credits  

Credits Honor Pts.  

Value Earned  
























Algebra Mod 2  










*A developmental course for no college credit  



Grade Point Average (GPA) = 22 (value points) / 10 (credits) = 2.2  

Please note: Grades from courses transferred from another institution or credits earned by examination will not be included in your RVCC grade point average.   


red dot  

 Grade Appeal Process  

 I am not happy with my grade in a course.  What can I do?
You should always speak to your instructor first.  Most issues can typically be resolved there.  If a resolution cannot be made at this level, please refer to the 
College Catalog for details on the Grade Appeal Procedure. 


red dot  


All RVCC students who have completed the academic requirements for a certificate or degree program must apply for graduation in order to receive a diploma, even if they do not plan to participate in commencement exercises. Please be aware of the strict graduation application deadlines!  Visit the Graduation Requirements page for details about the application process, dates of commencement and eligibility requirements. 


red dot  

High School Early Credits Program  

The High School Early Credits Program enables high school students to jump start their college education by earning college credit while they are still in high school. Please visit the following link for further details High School Early Credits



red dot  

Honors Program  

The general requirement for current RVCC students is a 3.5 grade-point average. For new students, the requirement is a 3.5 grade-point average from high school. For incoming transfer students, the requirement is a 3.5 grade-point average from their previous institution. Please note, some honors courses carry additional requirements which are listed in the Honors Course Descriptions in the college catalog. Students with a g.p.a. of less than 3.5 can still take an Honors course or choose an Honors Option by contacting the instructor and receiving written permission.More information about the Honors Program and current course offerings.  


red dot  

 Incomplete Grades  

A student may receive an incomplete grade "I" at the discretion of a faculty member. An Incomplete Grade may be assigned if the student has failed to complete all requirements of a course due to extenuating circumstances, such as a serious illness.  It is the student’s responsibility to contact the faculty member to make arrangements to complete the missing work. When the work is completed the faculty member assigns a final grade, replacing the “I” on the student’s permanent academic record.  If the required work is not satisfactorily completed within the four-week time period, a grade of “F” is assigned, replacing the “I”. 


red dot  

 Independent Study  

How do I arrange for an independent study?
Since an independent study is an arrangement between you and a specific faculty member, you should speak with that faculty member about arranging an independent study course. If agreed upon, you will take the Independent Study Form, available in the Academic Offices, to the Office of Academic Affairs where a course number will be assigned to the independent Study course. Bring the Independent Study Form with the course number and signatures to the Student Enrollment Center for registration.

Will I receive credits towards my degree program?
Yes, if the subject of independent study correlates with a specific curriculum requirement for your program.


red dot  

 Instant Decision  

Advising and Counseling Services sponsors "Instant Decision Days" during which four-year colleges and universities in New Jersey come to our campus to meet with RVCC students. Students find out that day if they are accepted to the four-year institution of their choice.  

Notice of Instant Decision Days will appear in the Lion’s Den and by clicking on All About Transfer. If you are interested in applying to a school that is offering Instant Decisions at RVCC, see a Transfer Counselor in Advising & Counseling Services to schedule an appointment. 

What are the basic steps in the Instant Decision process? 

You will need to make an appointment with the Transfer Counselor to establish eligibility, schedule an appointment with the Admissions Representative and receive instructions of what to bring to the appointment. 

What will I typically need for the Instant Decision appointment? 

  1. a completed application: if school requires on-line application, submit it and make a copy to bring 
  2. an official RVCC transcript
    • go to Transcripts http://www.raritanval.edu/records/transcripts.html on the RVCC home page 
    • if you attended other colleges, bring transcripts from them 

    Remember – a transcript is only official if it has not been opened!

Please Note - Different schools have different requirements for eligibility and submission of materials. You will be advised of that when you meet with the Transfer Counselor.


red dot  

 How do I change my major?  

  1.  If you entered college as a non-degree student and you seek to enter a degree or certificate program, you need to go to the Admissions Office, located in the lower floor of the Library building and fill out a new Application for Admission.
  2. If you enrolled in a degree or certificate program and wish to change to another degree or certificate program, you will need to fill out a change of major form with an Academic Advisor. Academic Advisors are located in Advising and Counseling Services, on the first floor of the College Center and are available during their daily drop-in hours. Please note that if you are changing your major to Nursing, you will need to follow Step 1. 

What happens to the courses I have taken in my previous major? 

Any or all courses taken for the previous major that apply to the new major will be applicable. 

How much does it cost to change my major? 

Nothing. It’s free!  


red dot  

 Major Selection  

 How do I know what majors RVCC offers?
There are several ways to find out: 

  1. Look at the list of Academic Programs online. 
  2. Visit the web pages of Academic Departments to see the listings of the degree and certificate programs by department.  
  3. Go to Advising and Counseling Services, on the first floor of the College Center, during drop-in hours and speak to an Academic Advisor. 

 How do I go about choosing a major?
You can select a major on your own based on your own needs and interests or you can meet with an Academic Advisor during drop-in times to discuss your options.  You can also visit 
Career Services online and learn more about what majors relate to different careers.   

 I have heard that you can double major, is that true?
Yes.  We recommend that you discuss this option with an Academic Advisor before making any decisions.  Also, you should be aware that if you officially declare two majors, you must fulfill the degree requirements for both programs before you can apply for graduation. 


red dot  

starsNJ Stars Program  

The New Jersey Student Tuition Assistance Reward Scholarship (NJ STARS) is a scholarship program exclusively for New Jersey residents that covers the cost of tuition and approved fees at New Jersey's 19 community colleges. Students who graduate in the top 20 percent of their high school class are eligible. NJ STARS covers up to five semesters of tuition and approved fees at the student's local community college. 

What is NJ Stars II? 

New Jersey community college NJ STARS students who earn their associate's degrees (excluding the Associate of Applied Science Degree) with a 3.0 grade point average or better are eligible for NJ STARS II at any New Jersey public four-year college or university.  


red dot  

 Non-Degree Options  

 I want to take courses at RVCC, but don’t want to enroll in a degree program.  What are my options?
If you wish to take a few courses, but do not plan to enroll into a degree program you can register for courses as a non-matriculated student.  You must fill out an application form and registration form and bring both forms to the Office of Enrollment Services.  As a non-degree student, you are restricted to take 9 credits or fewer in any given semester.  

 Do I have to take the placement test as a non-degree student?
As a non-degree student, you need to take the placement test only if the course (s) you want to register for have pre-requisites requiring English and/or Math. Although not required, non-degree students are encouraged to take the placement test for both English and Mathematics.  It is always a good idea to know what your placements are!  

 How do I change from non-degree to degree seeking?
If you entered RVCC as non-degree, you can change your status to degree seeking by filling out a new application form and bringing it to the Student Enrollment Center.  You will only need to pay an application fee if you have not attended RVCC in three or more years. If you had previously been in a degree program, became a non-degree student, and desire to return to a degree program, we recommend that you speak with an Academic Advisor in the Student Enrollment Center. 


red dot  

 Off-Campus Directions   


red dot  

 Online / Hybrid Courses  

An online course is offered over the internet, with student access via a web browser. All instruction traditionally provided in is replaced with online instruction. Attendance at the College is not usually required; however, students are encouraged to attend an orientation session at the beginning of the semester. A hybrid course, a blended mode of instructional delivery which combines features of traditional and distance education, is a course in which in-class instructional time is reduced 25% to 50% and replaced by online instruction and activities. Please note that online and hybrid courses have no reduction in workload! Visit Distance Learning for further information. 

How can I determine if I would be a good candidate for distance learning? 

Distance Learning is a flexible option for the self-motivated student who enjoys learning independently. Strong computer skills and the appropriatesoftware are a necessity. Take the assessment:Are you Ready to Take an Online Course? and watch the following YouTube video on Student Success in Online Courses.


red dot  

 Placement Testing  

 Who has to take the placement test?
Degree-seeking students are required to take Accuplacer placement tests for English and Mathematics prior to enrolling. All other students registering for an English or Math course or a course that has an English or Math pre-requisite will need to take the appropriate placement test. 

 How much does it cost?
The first test is free! Accuplacer tests may be taken up to 3 times although there is a retest fee for each section. 

 Can I transfer placement test scores from another college?
Yes, as long as you took Accuplacer placement tests. If you took the Accuplacer placement tests at another college within the last couple of years, you can request that those scores be sent to our 
Testing Center. However, you should realize that their placement "cut-offs" may be different than ours. It is in your best interest, therefore, to take our Accuplacer test here, which will provide you with the most accurate assessment of your Math and English skills 

 Can SAT scores exempt me from the placement test?
Yes. Please visit the 
Testing Center for details on what scores are required to be exempt from the placement test and able to directly register for college level courses. 

 I took the placement test at RVCC years ago. Are my scores still valid?
Yes and No. Yes, you can use your placement scores from the past to register for courses now. However, it is not advisable to do so, particularly in the area of Mathematics, where your skills from several years ago are not necessarily good indicators of your skills now. 


red dot   Probation / Suspension (please seeAcademic Standing

red dot  

 Repeating Courses  

Students may repeat any college-level course once without specific authorization. To repeat a college-level course more than once, a student must have the approval of the Dean of Student Services.  When a college-level course is repeated, all enrollments in the course are included on the student’s permanent academic record, but only the highest grade earned at RVCC will be included in the student’s grade point average (GPA). 

Please note: 

Courses in which students have received grades of W, AU, or P are not included in counting repeated courses. 

Students receiving financial aid should consult with the Financial Aid office before repeating a course, since some financial aid programs do not pay for repeated courses. 

Developmental courses (course numbers below 100) are not governed by this policy, however, they have their own policies.  To repeat any developmental English course, a student is required to meet with an academic advisor and may be restricted to certain courses or to a limited number of courses. After taking the same developmental English course for the third time without success, the student must meet with the Dean of Student Services to discuss academic and career options.  To take a developmental math course for the third time a student is required to meet with an academic advisor and may be restricted to certain courses or to a limited number of courses. 



red dot  

  Service Learning  

Service Learning at Raritan Valley Community College provides students with the unique opportunity of serving in the community and receiving academic credit for their efforts.  Visit Service Learning for further inforamtion. 


red dot  

Smart ID  

The SMART ID is a K-12 student identification number in New Jersey.  RVCC does not use it or record it, so you should contact your high school for your number if needed. 


red dot  

 Transfer In  

I have attended other colleges in the past.  Can I transfer credit to RVCC?                                                                                                 

After applying to RVCC, you will need to have official copies of all college transcripts sent to the office of Enrollment Services, here at RVCC.  Many schools have a fee for this service, therefore you should contact the college directly to check procedures.  If you attended other colleges under a different name, be sure to indicate the name change with the office of Enrollment Services.  In the meantime, we recommend you schedule an appointment with an Academic Advisor who can assist with course selection and registration.  Please visit our incoming transfers page for further information. 

Who evaluates transfer credit?  

The office of Enrollment Services, only AFTER official transcripts have been received from previous academic institutions AND the student has enrolled in a degree program. Students who have unofficial copies of their transcripts are encouraged to come to Advising and Counseling Services where an unofficial credit evaluation will be done to facilitate the registration process.  

How many credits can I transfer to RVCC?                                                                                                                                                  

Students can transfer up to 45 credits in ANY form of advanced standing (transfer credit, CLEP, etc) toward an associate degree or 75 percent of the required credits for a certificate program. 

I attended college more than 10 years ago. Are my credits too old to transfer?                                                                                                                                                                                                              

No. There are no age restrictions on Liberal Arts credits.  Courses taken in other academic areas will  be evaluated by the appropriate department. 

Do I have to be enrolled in a program to receive transfer credit?                                                                                                                   

Yes. Otherwise, the office of Enrollment Services would have no curriculum requirements within which to grant credit.   

I have college credit from a foreign university.  Are those credits transferable?    
Possibly. Students who have attended a college or university in a foreign country must provide a transcript evaluation from an organization belonging to the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services.  These organizations charge a fee for their services, and the evaluations may take several weeks.  Foreign Credential Evaluators forms, listing these organizations are available in Enrollment Services and Advising and Counseling Services. 

red dot  

 Transfer Out  

From the very first day you start at Raritan Valley Community College, you should be thinking about what you plan to do next.  We recommend you make an appointment with a transfer counselor to review your educational goals and transfer options.  Take advantage of the many resources on campus and online for current information.  You should make contact with the colleges and universities you think you might like to attend after you graduate from RVCC.  Get their catalogs and view their websites.  Both will be very helpful to you in planning your course selection at RVCC.  Please refer to our transfer page for further information.  


red dot  

 Tutoring Servicestutoring graphic  

        RVCC students have access to free drop-in tutoring services at the Academic Support Center

red dot    Underage Admission Policy &Procedure  

red dot  

 University Center  

 University Center at RVCC is a convenient way for prospective students residing or working in Somerset and Hunterdon Counties to complete advanced education without having to travel outside the region. Through partnerships with an expanding number of accredited colleges and universities, the University Center offers a wide range of undergraduate and graduate degrees, as well as graduate-level certificates to choose from. 


Web Study myRV Mobile RVCC LibraryLinked In Instagramfacebook Button Twitter YouTube