Home Raritan Valley Community College
To best view this page, please turn off Compatibility View.


Advising & Counseling


International Student: FAQs

To be considered for admission, applicants must file complete credentials prior to each deadline:

Fall Semester

  • June 1st
  • July 1st: Transfer F1 students

Spring Semester

  • November 15th
  • December 1st: Transfer F1 students

RVCC does not admit F-1 Status students for English Language Studies. The TOEFL or IELTS test will be required for admission.

Please note that many of the forms you need to print and fill out are provided as Word documents, so you can type rather than write.  If you do not have access to Microsoft Word, please download a copy of Open Office, which will allow you to use these documents.  Thank you.



International Admissions

This category of admission is for foreign students who wish to be admitted as degree-seeking students. To be admitted as an International Student, a student must submit all of the below items. Collect as much of the below materials as possible before sending the information to RVCC.  Note: International students are not eligible to apply for the Nursing Degree program.

You should not submit an application for admission without the necessary supporting documents listed below.  

  1. Submit a printedApplication for Admission(requires Adobe Acrobat Reader to open) accompanied by the $225 (non-refundable) Application Fee.
    Do not submit an application without the necessary supporting documents.  
  2. Have an official evaluation of high school transcript or leaving certificate performed by one of the organizations belonging to the National Association of Credential Evaluation ServicesThis must be sent directly to RVCC from the company.
  3. Submit an official evaluation of college or university transcripts (if applicable) performed by one of the organizations belonging to the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services. This must be sent directly to directly to RVCC from the company.
  4. Submit Affidavit of Support forms(.doc) and accompanying documentation from the student or sponsor (s).
  5. Submit results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with a minimum score of 61 on the IBT (internet based test) 500 for the paper-based test or 173 for the computer-based test.  Our school TOEFL code is 2867.  All applicants must submit TOEFL or IELTS results.  To be considered for possible exemptions from this requirement you must submit your reason in writing. Each applicant will be reviewed on an individual basis.
  6. Submit a copy of the expiration date page of passport that is valid for at least 6 months into the future.
  7. Submit a SEVIS information request form(.doc)

    Items 8-12 are required of students already in the United States:
  8. Submit copies of I-20 forms from any U.S. institutions previously attended (if applicable).
  9. Submit a copy of visa from passport.
  10. Submit an original, un-expired I-94 Form.
  11. Have official transcripts sent directly from all U.S. institutions previously attended (if applicable).
  12. Complete and have current US institution return the F-1 transfer request form(.doc)

mini-globe TOEFL or IELTS Requirement
mini-globe How to get your I-20 form
mini-globe I-20 form rules
mini-globe Changing to F1-Student Status
mini-globe F-1 Optional Practical Training


document Forms for International Students (all .doc files):


mini-globe School Transfer/Change Procedures



USCIS: US Citizenship and Immigration Services

  • www.uscis.gov Forms and info. Immigration Services
  • (800) 870-3676 Forms request line USCIS
  • (800) 375-5283 Ask Immigration: Questions and Answers

SSA: Social Security Administration

  • www.ssa.gov Social Security Information and Forms
  • (800) 772-1213 SSA General Questions

American Embassies

RVCC Resources

Other Resources


mini-globe College Consortium for International Students(external website)
mini-globe SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System)
mini-globe Credential Evaluation Services



  • Who has to take the ESL English as a Second Language placement test?

    Citizens or permanent residents of the United States, for whom English is not his/her first language, will take the Placement test at RVCC to determine their eligibility, even if he/she has studied English at another college. International Students, for whom English is not their first language, must also take the test. The test is graded by RVCC faculty and students will receive written notification in the mail as to their ESL placement.

  • Why is the test important!?

    The programs at RVCC require a demonstrated level of proficiency in English. The results of the ESL Placement Test will be used to determine whether a student will be placed into one of four levels of ESL at the College. Once the need for ESL is determined, students are required to take one of the following combined skills courses, each of which is 6 classroom hours per week: Core courses in English as a Second Language, Levels I-IV.

  • Where do I take the ESL test and how much does it cost?

    The test is offered in our Testing Center and is free of charge to students. You can take the test at any time between these hours on a walk-in basis. Please check current hours at Testing Center.

    Note the length of time required for the test--45 minutes for the Structure Test and 35 minutes for the vocabulary Test-- so that you allow sufficient time to complete the ESL Placement Test before the Center closes.

  • I took ESL at another college. How does that affect my placement in courses at RVCC?

    You should discuss your previous ESL courses with Dr. Susan Salminen, Extension 8534, who coordinates ESL placement.

  • How do ESL courses fit into my major?

    ESL courses do not carry college credit towards your degree program.

  • I need more in-depth information about the ESL courses. With whom do I speak?

    Contact an ESL Advisor, or visit the ESL website.


Address Change

new address!United States (US) immigration regulations require "non-citizens" of the US (other than diplomats on "A" visas or international organization representatives on "G" visas) who are present in the US for more than 30 days to register any change of address with the US Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) within 10 days of the change of address. This is particularly important for students in F-1 visa status who may lose their visa status if they do not follow this directive.

How To Inform The USCIS of Your Change of Address: If you are an international student in F-1 status and you move to a new address, MAKE SURE to stop by Advising & Counseling Services to have an ISS staff member register your new address with the USCIS in the SEVIS system. Also, make sure to complete a change of address form and submit it to the Registrar's Office.

For all other permanent residents and visa holders (other than those in “A” or “G” status)

  1. Download form AR-11 from the INS website Form AR11
  2. Thoroughly complete the form AR-11.
  3. Make copies of it for your records.
  4. Mail it to:

    Immigration and Naturalization Service
    P.O. Box 7134, London. KY 40742-7134
    Attention: Address Change

  5. RVCC recommends that you mail the form AR-11 from the post office using Certified Mail - Return Receipt Requested. This will cost you a few dollars, however it is worth it because you will receive a receipt from the Post Office proving that the INS received your form. When you get that receipt, make sure you staple it to the copy of the AR-11 you kept for your records.


What to do before you travel:

  1. Planning is the key. Think several weeks in advance about what you will need for your trip and assemble it. That way, you will not be stressed out at the last minute.

  2. Make several copies of all of your important documents. Those include all of the I-20s you’ve been issued (from every school you’ve attended) and the pages in your passport showing your picture, birth date, passport number, expiration date, visa and I-94 card. Keep one set of copies in your carry-on luggage, one set in your checked baggage and leave a set at home preferably with someone who can send them to you if needed.

  3. Visit RVCC’s International Student Services to have your I-20 signed. REQUEST FOR FORM I-20 TRAVEL ENDORSEMENT

  4. Order a copy of your transcript from RVCC’s Student Enrollment Center. It typically takes two business days to have your order processed.

  5. luggageRequest an “Enrollment Certification” from RVCC’s Student Enrollment Center. An “Enrollment Certification” is a letter stating you are currently enrolled as a student at RVCC. It typically takes two business days to have your request processed.

  6. If you are traveling outside of the United States:
    • Check the visa (for the United States) in your passport to learn if it has expired. If so, you will have to apply at a US Embassy or Consulate to have it renewed before returning to the United States.
    • If you have changed your visa status to F-1 in the United States, you will have to apply for an F-1 visa at a US Embassy or Consulate before returning to the United States. Remember, you are currently in “F-1 status” but you do not have an “F-1 Visa.” * If you need to get your F-1 visa renewed or if you need to apply for an F-1 visa, you should contact the US Embassy/Consulate in the country where you are traveling BEFORE you travel to learn how long the process may take. Warning: Currently, it often takes 8-12 weeks to apply for a visa so you may need to take the entire term as a vacation. Also, if possible, you may want to make an appointment with the US Embassy in the country you’re traveling to BEFORE you leave the U.S. We recommend this because it often takes 3-4 weeks just to get an appointment.
    • If you are traveling outside of the United States to a country other than your home country, call the embassy of that country to learn if you need a visa to enter that country. If so, ask what the requirements, cost and timeframe are to apply for a visa. Keep in mind that it often takes 2-3 weeks to process a visa application.

  7. Get current “Financial Support Documents” from your financial sponsor. If the documents you have submitted to RVCC are less than 6 months old, you may request a copy of them from international Student Services. You may be asked for them by an immigration official at the airport/border when you return to the United States. If you need to renew your visa, you will definitely be required to show your current/recent “Financial Support Documents” at the US Embassy where you apply for the visa renewal.

  8. If you are traveling in the United States, make sure to carry your original passport and I-20 with you at all times. If you are stopped by any government official (police, border patrols, immigration officers, etc.), you will be required to show them your original documents.

  9. HAVE A SAFE TRIP AND A GREAT TIME!     We look forward to welcoming you back to RVCC!


F-1 Student Orientation

International Student Orientation is held every fall and spring semester.

If you have questions please contact Elizabeth Sullivan


J1 or B1/B2 Status

  • J1 Status Au Pairs may enroll in "Post Secondary Institutions" while maintaining J1 status as an Au pair. RVCC Admission is for J1 students is the same as for US citizens. Students will be admitted as non-degree seeking students who are not requesting a Form I-20 for study. To be admitted as a J1 International Student, a student must submit an application for admission and take the ESL Placement exam in the college Test/Media Center.
    • Submit a printed Application for Admission (requires Adobe Acrobat Reader to open) accompanied by the $25 (non-refundable) Application Fee, in person or by mail

  • B2 Visitors for Tourism: Individual in the US for travel, tourism and recreation

    B2 visitors are not permitted to engage in Full time degree seeking study at a post Secondary Institution. B2 status may not engage in Full or Part time study, unless a change of status to F is approved by USCIS. Casual short term classes that are not the alien's primary purpose for being in the US, such as a single English language or craft course, would not constitute a "course of study".

For information on change of status procedures, please contact Elizabeth Sullivan at or call (908)526-1200 Ext. 8452 for an appointment.

mini-globe Financials/Cost of attending RVCC

Web Study myRV Mobile RVCC LibraryLinked In Instagramfacebook Button Twitter YouTube