Home Raritan Valley Community College
To best view this page, please turn off Compatibility View.

Types of Financial Aid RVCC Offers

RVCC offers many types of financial aid from federal, state, and institutional sources to help you fund your education. Below are some of those types of financial aid. The information below includes grants, scholarships, loans, and work study.  You automatically apply for all federal and state aid when you complete the FAFSA.

Federal Pell Grant
A Federal Pell Grant, unlike a loan, does not have to be repaid. Students who have not earned a bachelor's or a professional degree may be eligible for a Federal Pell Grant. The maximum Federal Pell Grant for the 2013-2014 academic year is $5,645 depending on the student’s financial need. This grant may be adjusted based on changes in the number of credits that a student registers for.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)
This grant is for undergraduates with exceptional financial need. Pell Grant recipients with the lowest expected family contributions (EFCs) will be considered first. Just like Pell Grants, the FSEOG does not have to be repaid.

Federal Work Study (FWS)
This program provides part-time jobs for undergraduate and graduate students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay education expenses. The program encourages community service work and work related to the recipient's course of study. For more information on work study, please view our Federal Work Study page.

Federal Stafford Student Loans (Subsidized and Unsubsidized)
These federal loans are made by the federal government, but there are no co-signers or credit checks required.
The interest rate for the subsidized loan is 5.6% and the unsubsidized loan is 6.8%. Students will need to complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN), entrance counseling online at www.studentloans.gov, and submit a Loan Request Form available from our website.

A subsidized loan is awarded on the basis of financial need. If a student is eligible for a subsidized loan, the government will pay (subsidize) the interest on your loan while the student is in school, during the grace period, and during any deferments. Students without unmet need may borrow an unsubsidized loan. The interest will accrue on an unsubsidized loan throughout the life of the loan.

For more info please refer to our Student Loan page.

Federal PLUS Loan
Parents can borrow a PLUS Loan to help students pay their education expenses if the student is dependent. Parents should apply online at www.studentloans.gov to complete a PLUS Loan Application and pass the required credit check. Once the PLUS Loan has been approved and the parent has completed the Master Promissory Note (MPN), the student should complete the Loan Request Form available from our website.

Tuition Aid Grant (TAG)
TAG is awarded based on financial need. The maximum TAG award is over $2400 annually and does not need to be repaid.

Educational Opportunity Fund (EOF)
Please refer to the EOF section of our website.

Distinguished/Urban Scholars Awards (DS/US)
Candidates are selected by their high school based upon academic standing as of the fall semester of their senior year and will be notified by HESAA of their eligibility. Students must be full time to receive this award. Awards are made up to $930 based on funding.

NJ Student Tuition Assistance Reward Scholarship (NJ STARS)
This program is for full time students who graduated in the top 15% of their high school class within the past year.

This fixed rate, credit based loan program offers flexible repayment options and a low interest rate.

For more information on state grants, scholarships, and loans, please visit the HESAA website at www.hesaa.org.

Web Study myRV Mobile RVCC LibraryLinked In Instagramfacebook Button Twitter YouTube